King’s Lynn’s English Premier League and cup double winners. Back row, from left: Andy Horn, Tommy Allander, Imogen Senter, Josh Futter, Owen Norris, Ryan Barnes, Jamie Griffin, Josh Roberts, Will Martin. Front: Josh Taylor, Bethan McCarthy, Josh Horn and Jack Tucker.Picture: SUBMITTED.

Lynn, already crowned league champions for a sixth consecutive season, retained the cup they won in 2019 after hitting back from behind to beat Middlesbrough 4-2 in the final at Herne Bay.

Lynn left it late though, overhauling their Teesside opponents in the last three minutes of a scintillating final.

The league encounters between the sides had gone comprehensively in favour of the West Norfolk side, rattling up a 6-2 home win and an astonishing 11-0 victory in the away game.

However, it was Boro had many of the better chances in the first half and channelled Lynn’s counter-attacks well, forcing the holders to play around the outside. 

They sought to catch Lynn on the break and in a crucial period of the first half succeeded in drawing a blue card from Lynn captain Josh Taylor.

Stepping up for the penalty against Lynn’s No.10 Josh Roberts, Boro captain Owen Stewart sent his shot into Roberts’ leg pads and Lynn had to endure the following two minutes with a man disadvantage but saw out a scoreless first half.

Boro created the first scare of the game when Stewart beat his defender to drill a flick past Tom Allander, in for Captain Vancouver Man of the Match Roberts at half-time.

Lynn, unused to coming from behind, responded confidently with a similar move as Owen Norris shimmied past his man to find the top left corner of the goal with a flick of his own.

Lynn looked to press on but were caught out in defence as Boro scored again with a medium-range slapshot.

Protecting their advantage, Boro’s defence made the game very difficult to play and Lynn were reduced to speculative shots from distance and play around the outside. 

As the seconds closed down, fears of a rare Lynn defeat became a growing reality.

However, with five minutes to go, Owen Norris secured Lynn’s 10th team foul and, although Jack Tucker could not covert the direct hit, it spurred Lynn into action and Tucker soon compensated with a deflected goal to make it 2-2.

Lynn, sensing victory, pressed on for the winner and duly found it when Tucker converted at the far post to knock the wind out of Boro’s sails.

To round off the scoring, Taylor scored a slap straight from the direct spot with a minute remaining and Lynn held out to complete an impressive league and cup double.

In the awards ceremony after the match, Tucker was presented with the award for Men’s National Player of the Season, with club mate Bethan McCarthy winning in the women’s category.

Lynn’s final game of the season is against Peterborough, at Lynnsport tomorrow, 6.15pm, after which Lynn will be presented with the Premier League trophy.

After that, the action continues for Lynn’s Josh Horn, Norris and Roberts, who will be playing for England’s u23s in next week’s Nations Cup.