Pelicans Seconds goalkeeper Dan Upton is grounded but still manages to frustrate the Norwich Dragons attack.Picture: RICHARD S BROWN.

HOCKEY: Two early goals set Pelicans up nicely for a 3-1 victory in Division One North of the East Men’s League against Cambridge Nomads.

Pelicans started well, moving the ball around positively and the link-up play provided a potent attacking threat, leading to two goals, from Sam Philips and Will Lankfer. 

More attacking pressure in the second half kept Pelicans on top but they could not add to their tally until later on when a penalty flick was confidently despatched straight down the middle by Iain Page.

A late flurry of frantic effort saw Nomads pull a goal back but it was not enough to get them back into the game.

The 4 Way man of the match award went to Philips.

The second team held promotion-chasing Norwich Dragons to a 1-1 draw in Division Two North East, with goalkeeper Dan Upton earning the 4 Way man of the match honours.

Straight from the start Nick Henry was in a physical battle with the opposition centre forward and this set the tone for the game with strong tackles coming from both teams. 

The hosts got their noses in front with a superb team goal. Quick inter-linking play from Ben Picton, Gavin Johnstone and Henry set up Toby Phillips for a simple tap in. 

Pelicans held the slender lead going into the half-time whistle when club head coach Wayne Masters took the team through the good and bad parts of their play, setting the home side up for the second half. 

Dragons came out fired up and chased for the equaliser, making goalkeeper Upton work hard between the sticks.

The visitors were awarded several short corners, putting the defence under constant pressure, but Pelicans held firm. 

The pressure eventually paid off when Dragons passed the ball through the home defence at speed from open play, passing across the Pelicans’ D from a wide position to an unmarked forward for a neatly placed tap in. 

Both teams continued to push hard, trying to find a winner but a second goal proved elusive for both teams.

Captain Stu Olley said: “This was a fantastic result for us as we are in a relegation battle and Dragons are chasing a promotion slot.”

Elsewhere, the third team were 1-0 winners against Felixstowe Seconds, while the Fourths came out on top 3-1 against Dereham Fifths.