West Norfolk in control at a ruck. Picture: ROZ BRIDGES

RUGBY UNION: West Norfolk coach Aaron Beaumont insisted his team had played some of their best rugby of the season, despite going down 22-17 at home to Saffron Walden in their latest London Two league match.

“We started strongly, which is something we aimed for after slow starts in recent weeks,” he said. 

“Despite Saffron Walden taking the lead in the first half, we stuck to the game plan and the boys showed great spirit to fight their way back to keep the game within a score, which nearly resulted in the win. 

“We played well. However, a few errors and ill-discipline ultimately cost us.

“Despite the result, I felt we played some of our best rugby of the season.”

After two weekends without a full game of rugby, West kicked off and applied early pressure, with some excellent tackling from captain Henry Rust and centre Angus Williams. 

Pressure soon turned into penalties, however two kicks from just inside the visitors’ 10m line were missed.

The deadlock was eventually broken when West kicked a penalty deep into Walden’s 22m line and, following an excellent catch and drive led by Conor Clarke and Liam Hind, Rust scooted over to score. 

Sam Moses converted and added a penalty kick before Saffron Walden replied with a try of their own. The visitors muscled their way over for another try to hold a 12-10 half-time advantage,

Walden used the slight breeze to their advantage, pinning their hosts back after the break and scoring a converted try.

West’s offload game then came into play with the hosts dominating possession in broken play. 

Following a bulldozing run by no.8 James Dobbler, fly half Jack Wicks released the backs with the ball eventually finding its way into the hands of Singleton. Using his pace and quick feet, the club stalwart jinked his way over the line to give his team a glimmer of hope for the win. 

With the clock ticking down, West gained a penalty just inside the Walden 10m line. 

An excellent kick by Wicks to the corner, saw West use their driving maul, which was well sacked by the visitors’ defence. 

West continued to pick and go, testing the Walden defence and  in an interesting few minutes of play, James Dobbler went over twice, only to be denied by two unsighted groundings.

The latter heralded the full-time whistle, denying the hosts a win. 

The Adrian Flux man of the match award went to Williams

West Seconds were unable to contain Watton as the hosts ran out 33-17 victors. West’s scorers were Jordan Penn-Symonds, Eddie Crewe and Dominic Hubbard. 

The Trundley man of the match was Jamie Williamson.