The two teams get to grips with each other before the match was abandoned.Picture: ROS BRIDGES.

RUGBY UNION: A combination of the weather, playing conditions and an injury brought a halt to West Norfolk’s London Two clash with Southwold.

West Norfolk were 3-0 up when the referee called a halt five minutes into the second half following a potentially serious injury to a player from the Suffolk side.

It followed an awkward tackle by the player and, after a meeting between both sides and the referee, it was decided that the game would be abandoned due to the worsening weather conditions and the further likelihood of injury. 

The fixture will be rearranged later in the season once a suitable weekend has been identified. 

West had been looking forward to the match as it gave them chance to pick up points after welcoming several players back to action after injury and other absences.

It did not take long for the weather to have an effect with a number of handling errors in the early stages. 

With the wind at the hosts’ backs, it was difficult to say which was more difficult to handle, the strong wind at their backs for West, or playing into a gale for Southwold.

A scrappy first half saw both teams jostle for position with the majority of play inside the Southwold territory. 

The visitors defended well, soaking up a number of West Norfolk attacks. 

Eventually the home pressure told and West were awarded a penalty, which full back Sam Moses converted. 

Despite a hugely dominant scrum, that was the only score of the half. 

Following an attempt at warming up in the changing room and in worsening conditions, the teams returned to the field knowing that any score would be crucial. 

West started brightly with a number of big carries from James Dobbler and Henry Rust, making plenty of metres into the gale force wind, however, the injury led to the abandonment of the action. 

The Adrian Flux man of the match was Paul Bridges.

West Norfolk’s development side did manage to complete their fixture, coming out on top 20-0 at Dereham to earn their second win of the season. 

Scorers were Quinton Houston 2, Jack Slingsby and Ash Colvin. 

The Trundley man of the match was Quinton Houston.