Jack Wicks kicks over West’s only points.Pictures: Roz Bridges.

RUGBY UNION: In what can only be described as glorious conditions for rugby, West Norfolk were looking to get their first win of the season at home against Chelmsford.

However, a bumper crowd saw the hosts go down 29-3.

The two sides had met three years ago in the RFU Senior Vase at Chelmsford, with the Essex side taking the spoils in a high-scoring affair. 

From the start, both teams looked dangerous in possession, however, the visitors made the first move, scoring through some quick hands and using pace to get over the West line. 

Unfazed, West regrouped and strong carries from Dan Nunn and Lewis Stewart saw them deep in the Chelmsford half. 

A quick break from centre Jack Wicks drew a penalty from the visitors and Wicks converted to bring the scores to within two points. 

The first half continued to see end-to-end play from both teams with Wicks and fly half Sam Moses linking well in the midfield. 

However, the hosts failed to convert a number of opportunities, allowing Chelmsford to score twice before half-time, despite a courageous defensive effort from West.

West felt they were more than in the game at half-time but the start of the second half did not go to plan with the visitors’ speedy backs pouncing on a loose ball to score within the first few seconds. 

Chelmsford began to play to their strengths and tested the home back three of Tilbrook, Rudd and Houston with some high balls. West continued to work hard to get into good scoring positions only to be thwarted by ill-discipline or poor handling, giving the visitors the turn over. 

West’s scrum and lineout operated well, particularly through the hands of Dan Stephenson and Craig Blackmur, while young duo Lewis Rudd and Luis Jones on the wings did their best to get West into a good position. 

However, it was not to be and Chelmsford’s quick full back again put West to the sword with a try in the final play. 

The Adrian Flux Man of the Match was Will Greenwood.

West’s head coach Aaron Beaumont said: “ It was a tough weekend but we move on. 

“There are lots of positives to take as we defended much better than we have in previous games. It was a couple of mistakes that cost us. 

“We need to continue to work as a unit when defending around the breakdown but we defended well up the middle of the park.

“We attacked and created more opportunities than we have all season. We went over, through and round the opposition but lacked that composure and patience needed to finish the chances and kill the game off.

We must stick together and I have no doubt the result and win will come our way soon.”