Craig Blackmur pops the ball up for Harry Robb while, right, Henry Rust leads a break for West Norfolk during their 36-7 win over Woodbridge.Pictures: Simon Ballard.
Stay Alert

RUGBY UNION: West Norfolk had to bide their time before easing to a 36-7 win over Woodbridge to extend their winning start to the London & South East Leagues Three Eastern Counties to eight games.

West started in good spirit, looking to play fast-paced rugby with winger Charlie Moore and full back Mark Tilbrook making early breaks. 

However, handling let West down on a number of occasions as they squandered a number of chances as West’s big pack began to dominate with big carries from lock Adam Fox and No.8 Craig Blackmur. 

West eventually got on the score sheet with a well taken interception try from Jack Wicks, converted by fly half Sam Moses.

Woodbridge replied quickly when speedy winger Jake Hateley brought the score level.

A red card for a high tackle by Stephen Aspery meant West had to play nearly an hour with only 14 men. 

Undeterred, West collected the ball from a lineout and after a well organised maul, lock Adam Fox crashed his way over the line for West, converted by Moses. 

The West pack led by the front row of Dan Nunn, Henry Rust and Paul Bridges drove their way over the Woodbridge try line for a pushover try with Harry Robb taking the spoils, converted by Moses, to earn a 19-7 half-time lead.

With worsening conditions, coach Clarke encouraged West to keep the ball in hand and play more route one rugby.

West eventually got their fourth and bonus point try with Moses offloading for prop Bridges to drive his way through the Woodbridge defence just to right of the posts. 

Captain Rust then seized his opportunity, picking up from the back of a ruck and scooting his way along the touchline to score in the corner with Moses converting. 

To close the account for West, after some quick hands in broken play, full back Tilbrook went over in the right hand corner. 

Adrian Flux man of the match was Charlie Moore.

Head coach Darren Clarke said: “I’m really pleased we managed to get the bonus point win after a couple of close games in recent weeks, especially after receiving a red card so early in the game. 

“The pack dominated in the set piece, which allowed the backs to show more attacking flair with the ball in hand. 

“We adapted well to the wet, sticky conditions and wore down a spirited Woodbridge side.”

West Seconds travelled to Wymondham Thirds with a bare 15 players after a number of call-offs. With both teams containing a mix of youth and experience, it was fairly level pegging in the first half, however fitness told in the second half and, despite a spirited West effort, Wymondham ran out 22-7 victors.

Trundley man of the match for West was Jasper Hammond.

Stay Alert