Chris Henderson netted against Hereford and is happy with Lynn’s progress.

FOOTBALL: Manager Ian Culverhouse has plenty to work on, despite King’s Lynn Town making a solid start to life in the National League North.

The Linnets made it a promising seven points from the opening four games as they look to have found their feet at step two of the non-League game with a 3-1 win over Hereford at The Walks on Saturday followed by a battling 1-1 draw at highly-fancied Brackley Town on Tuesday. 

“We need to improve our play in the final third of the pitch,” said Culverhouse after Adam Marriott’s stoppage-time penalty rescued a point in Northamptonshire.

“Our link-up play between the front two was too slow. They were guilty of having too many touches at times. It’s something to work on but then I think we will be okay.”

The match had sprung to life in an incredible late period after Brackley had taken 58th minute lead when a clearance from Ryan Fryatt cannoned off a team mate into the path of Lee Ndlovu to score. 

Three minutes into stoppage time Lynn levelled when they were awarded a penalty after Ellis Myles handled the ball in the area. Marriott converted the resulting spot kick only for the hosts to get one of their own within a minute.

Shane Byrne took the kick but blasted the ball off the cross bar and away to safety. 

“We were poor tonight,” said Culverhouse. “We didn’t look after the ball in the final third of the pitch well enough. The ball was back and forth a lot and we were too open.

“But credit to the character of the boys. The response after going a goal down was very good and we went at them and started to move the ball quicker.”

On Saturday, the Linnets were on top form to see off pre-season promotion favourites Hereford 3-1 at The Walks.

Michael Gash gave Lynn the lead with a header and then set up Chris Henderson for the second just before half-time.

Aaron Jones saw his shot loop over the goalkeeper and into a net via a deflection off a Hereford defender before the visitors pulled one back through Mike Symonds. 

Culverhouse thought his team had played well and said: “We got on the ball and moved it around really well to create some good chances. 

“Alex Street pulled off a great save at 2-0 and we went up the other end and got the third goal. That was important and that killed the game.”

Midfielder Henderson is happy to see the Linnets making progress.

“We didn’t really know what we were coming into but have already made people sit up and take notice,” he said.

“A few of us have played at this level before but it’s new to most of the lads but we’ve got nothing to fear, we’re really going for it.”

Lynn travel to AFC Telford United tomorrow.