JAILED: Ozzie Welsh has been jailed for five years Picture: Norfolk Police

A PATIENT who posted homemade bombs at his doctor’s surgery following a row over a prescription has been jailed for five years.

Police were called to Boughton Surgery in Chapel Lane on January 27 last year after staff found three explosive devices.

Ozzie Welsh of Short Lane, Feltwell, pleaded guilty to possession of explosives in suspicious circumstances on the first day of his trial at London’s Old Bailey on January 23.

Welsh denied causing an explosion likely to endanger life or property. The charge will lie on file.

The court heard Welsh had been a regular patient at the surgery and had been involved in several confrontations with doctors and staff there.

Before posting the devices, Welsh had been angered by a disagreement about a prescription, the hearing was told.

Police were called after staff reported finding minor damage in the surgery foyer along with canisters and ball bearings just after 7.30am on January 27 last year.

A 100-metre cordon was put in place and specialists from the bomb disposal unit were  called in. Enquiries made on the day led officers to search Welsh’s home. They seized a laptop and diary which both contained details and research about bomb making.

Evidence that Welsh had purchased various substances and component parts to make explosives was also found.

Welsh denied the offence in the first police interview, but later asked to see officers again.

In a second interview, he provided a written statement admitting he had posted the devices through the surgery door because a disagreement about his medication had made him angry, the court heard.

Previous hearings were told there were concerns about Welsh’s mental health.

Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, said: “The devices recovered from the surgery were later tested by specialists and found to be viable improvised explosives.

“In police interview Welsh admitted to having a fascination with explosives and the power this afforded him, but didn’t want to harm anyone.

“While fortunately no one was injured during this incident, an explosives expert who examined the materials was of the opinion these could have caused serious injury.”