The Queen at King’s Lynn station with station master Graeme Pratt. Picture: Matthew Usher.

The Queen made her traditional train trip back to London and Windsor from King’s Lynn station on Tuesday, following her Christmas and new year  break with other members of the royal family at Sandringham.

Her majesty caught the 10.54am service from Lynn to London’s King’s Cross in the first class carriage.

Other passengers watched on as our 90-year-old monarch boarded the Govia Great Northern Thameslink train about 10 minutes before it departed, having purchased, it is thought, a standard £56.10 first class ticket for the journey along with her travelling staff.

The Queen made the journey the day after becoming the longest-serving monarch in British history on Monday,  quietly reflecting on 65 years of service to the nation and the death of her beloved father, King George VI, at Sandringham on February 6, 1952.

She was met at Lynn station by station master Graeme Pratt who escorted her to the train.

Mr Pratt  has worked at King’s Lynn station for 12 years and has enjoyed the duty of meeting the Queen for the past seven years.

He greeted her at the royal gate which is the special side entrance reserved for such occasions.

He told YLP: “Her Majesty was smiling and laughing.

“We talked about the weather; she said it was nice to be going back on a day this bleak and I said: ‘Yes, it certainly is, ma’am.’

“I told her everything was running to time on Great Northern and she said she was early anyway, then I wished her a pleasant journey.

“As always, it was a pleasure and an honour.”

The Queen, who wore a lime green coat and dress ensemble with a patterned headscarf, was not accompanied  by the Duke of Edinburgh.

At the station, the Queen appeared to have recovered from the heavy cold that blighted her festive season, forcing her to miss church on a few occasions.

She will now spend time at Buckingham Palace on official business and also at Windsor, her favourite residence, during weekends. The Queen will then  move to Windsor for the royal season a week or so before the Easter Sunday service at the castle’s St George’s Chapel.