FOOTBALL: Leon Mettam will be absent from the King’s Lynn Town squad for at least two weeks after suffering a back injury in Tuesday’s 2-0 Norfolk Senior Cup win at Thetford Town.

Mettam had only been on the pitch for a matter of minutes as a half-time substitute when he injured his back, colliding with metal railings behind the goal.

The game was halted for almost 50 minutes while the striker received treatment from Linnets physio Phil Ward before leaving the Mundford Road ground in an ambulance.

He was later reported to have bruising around his vertebrae.

Eion McQuaid’s curling effort just before the break, after a neat pass from Michael Clunan, sent the Linnets on the way to the quarter-finals.

A cool finish from Kurtis Revan, after being played in by Toby Hilliard, confirmed a place alongside Norwich United, Wroxham, Diss Town, Fakenham Town, Harleston Town, Long Stratton and Norwich CEYMS in the last eight.

Lynn picked up a second consecutive Southern League win and clean sheet on Saturday, with Toby Hilliard’s goal enough to see off Banbury United at The Walks.

The Linnets started brightly with Hilliard getting the first shot on target. Lee Stevenson then went close with a header that was well saved by Jack Harding.

Lynn should have taken the lead when Hilliard’s deep cross was headed across goal by Sam Warburton but Mettam’s effort was superbly kept out by Harding.

In the second half, Lynn took the game by the scruff of the neck as Hilliard found Mettam but he was again was denied by Harding.

Jacek Zielonka should have done better with a header at the back post. He was replaced by recent signing Ryan Hawkins after 75 minutes and the winger made an instant impact.

He showed good pace and trickery to get the better of full back Marvin Martin and laid the ball across for Hilliard to place it into the corner.

Banbury should have equalised minutes before the full-time whistle but Zac McEachran glanced an effort wide from George Jeacock’s left wing cross.

Lynn are hoping for a big crowd for tomorrow’s FA Trophy final qualifying round tie at home to St Ives, 3pm.