King’s Lynn’s Joe Shirley on his way to scoring his second try.

King’s Lynn Black Knights are through to the final of the East Vase after a 32-20 win at Bedford Tigers in the semi-finals.

Despite fielding a depleted squad, the Black Knights tore into their opponents from the start with a kick on the fifth tackle from Simon Leader putting Ed Crewe in at the corner to score an early try.

This was followed by another from a scrum with loose forward Rory O’Sullivan picking up the ball and charging over.

The Knights had several chances to score more. A pass from Leader to Dan Nunn to score under the posts was disallowed and ruled to be forward and an individual run from Quintan Houston from 70 metres out was halted a metre out from the try line by the home full-back.

The Tigers managed to score with quick passing out wide to go over in the corner.

With the Knights suffering injuries, Paul Allen had to kit up to play. Within minutes of getting on the pitch, he scored between the posts from a brilliant break from over the halfway line by Stephen Aspery, who passed on to Leader and then Allen. Leader converted to give the visitors a 14-4 half-time advantage.

The Knights started the second half well with a few penalties given for high tackles and delaying the play the ball.

From one of them, Reg Dunn hit the ball up and passed off to Vitalius Trusksina to score with Leader again converting.

Knights missed out on another opportunity to score when Dunn was ruled to be held up over the try line.

With several injuries in the second half, the Knights’ defence suffered, allowing the Tigers to slip in three tries out wide to bring the score level at 20-20.

With 20 minutes left, a brilliant run from Stephen Aspery brought the Knights within 20 metres of the try line.

Hit ups from Dunn, O’Sullivan and Neil Langley allowed hooker Joe Shirley to dummy and score, converted by Leader.

With 10 minutes to go, Reihana Haare joined the fray, which seemed to lift the team to finish the game with some excellent running from the forwards for Shirley again to throw a dummy and run 20 metres to score another try, also converted by Leader.

The Black Knights will play the final next month.

Tomorrow they travel to Cambridge Lions to take on Southend Spartans in the East League Division One’s Magic Weekend.