Residents who are fighting a proposal to build new homes on land at Lynnsport and Marsh Lane in King’s Lynn,  have vowed to continue their campaign.

They plan to launch a fresh petition after their call for a referendum on a revised plan for 450 homes instead of 550 was rejected by West Norfolk Council’s cabinet on Tuesday.

Councillors backed the homes plan and the Edward Benefer Way link road proposal, which is now due to go to full council on February 26.

On Saturday, campaigners formed the Lynnsport Area Residents’ Association (LARA).

Chairman Stuart Hall sent out letters to all 62 borough councillors ahead of the cabinet meeting.

The letter called for a new public consultation on the revised council proposal, a referendum and claimed the first consultation on the original proposal was void.

The letter said residents still objected to the scaled down scheme, but welcomed the decision to no longer develop the area known as Lynnsport 2.

However, the group said this still did not address the concerns of more than 2,000 objectors.

Mr Hall said he was disappointed cabinet members had rejected the referendum call, but added this was just the start of the campaign.

He said residents also wanted assurances over rumours that pigs contaminated with anthrax had been buried on land at Marsh Lane in the 1960s.

“I don’t know whether that is true, but local people have said they can remember it happening. This needs to be investigated,” he said.

LARA has joined the Open Space Society in a bid to get the area of open space at Lynnsport designated as green space in the local plan, which is a blueprint for future development within the borough.

Alistair Beales, the council’s cabinet member for regeneration, assured this week that any risk of contamination would be thoroughly investigated.

He said Defra, the government department for the environment, had data on anthrax outbreaks and this would be checked.

A council spokesman said: “We are aware of the suggestion regarding the use of the Marsh Lane site for the disposal of pig carcases with anthrax.

“We have carried out a preliminary investigation and have found no evidence to date to support this suggestion.”

“If planning applications for development of the landfill site adjacent to Greenpark Avenue or Marsh Lane were to be submitted, then this matter will be fully considered as part of the planning process.”

The landfill site had been included in the original proposal and was to be used for the relocation of football pitches.

But the site has not been included in the revised proposal. However, a contaminated land assessment had been carried out of that site last year.

Soil samples taken from the site, which included tests for anthrax, and historical records have been reviewed.

The council said no evidence of animal carcases or anthrax was found and it was concluded the site did not pose a threat to human health.