Roadworks in the heart of King’s Lynn have unearthed the remains of an old chapel.
The Saturday Market is closed to traffic while Anglian Water undertakes repairs and an enhancement scheme is carried out.
During excavation of the former car park near the Minster, the remains of what is believed to be the old charnel chapel, demolished in 1914, were unearthed.
Work was delayed while the county archaeologist carried out an inspection.
Anglian Water is repairing sewers running through the market place.
The workforce have negotiated a maze of cables, pipes and conduits to reach the main sewer which is around ten-feet under the surface.
National Grid also has a team on site from this week to renew gas mains into St James Street.
The junction of Church Street and St James Street will be closed for the work with diversions along St James Road and Regent Way.
The enhancement scheme will see new paving and traffic management.
All the businesses in the area remain open.