Investigations are continuing into how a nine-year-old boy came to fall from a door of a coach travelling on the A47 at Tilney All Saints on Sunday.

Sebastian Goold from Wansford near Peterborough is fighting for his life in Addenbrooke’s Hospital at Cambridge where his condition was said to be  ‘critical’.

Sebastian is a member of Stamford Rugby Club and its president, Steve Fowkes, told Your Local Paper on Wednesday that although the youngster remains critical, there have been some early encouraging signs.

“There have been some encouraging signs which have given us cause for a bit of optimism but it is still very early stages,” said Mr Fowkes.

He said the accident had been a “massive shock” to the whole rugby fraternity.

The club has received messages of support from all over including Ireland.

Mr Fowkes said everyone’s thoughts are currently with the family.

“We will stay positive. There have been some good signs,” he said.

The club was due to stage a rugby festival this weekend but Mr Fowkes said Sebastian’s age group matches have already been cancelled. A meeting was due to be held yesterday to decide whether or not to cancel the whole festival.

Sebastian was travelling home from a mini rugby tournament at Holt with his Stamford team mates when the accident happened.

He was among 20 youngsters and ten adults on the double-decker coach, which included his father.

His mother was travelling in a car as part of the convoy when the accident happened at about 3.45pm.

A doctor from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital at King’s Lynn, who was travelling on the A47 at the time of the accident, stopped and gave emergency help.

Fortunately, another doctor was also at the scene and able to help.

The youngster was initially taken to the QEH before being transferred to Addenbrooke’s.

Mystery still surrounds the full circumstances of the horrific accident but police have said it would appear people were queuing for the toilet just before the crash and somehow a door has opened and Sebastian fell out.

His distressed parents, Nick and Tracey Goold, said their focus is on keeping a vigil at their son’s beside.

However, they have released the following statement through the police.

“We would like to pass on our gratitude and thanks to friends and associates at Stamford Rugby Club and to the wider rugby family, for their well wishes and prayers at what is a deeply distressing time.

“We have received further messages of support from lots of other people, wishing Sebastian well, and these too have been gratefully received.”

The investigation includes examining the coach, which is being kept in a secure compound. The vehicle will be examined by both police and VOSA experts.

Officers have spoken to some of the coach passengers and drivers who were in the area at the time.