Picture: Tony Jones

A King’s Lynn postman helped save his neighbour after fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday.

The postman was asleep in his Milton Avenue home when he was awoken by a smoke alarm from the adjoining property. He tried to get into the house while his wife called 999.

Fire crews from Lynn, Sandringham and Terrington St Clement arrived within minutes.

“This incident shows how important fire alarms are, it saved our neighbour’s life.

“If it hadn’t sounded and woken us up then my wife would not have called the fire brigade. They arrived incredibly quickly and broke the door down to get our neighbour,” said the postman, who declined to be named.

“The kitchen is blown and there is hardly any roof left. This sort of incident really makes you think – we checked our alarm and we are going to have a second one fitted.”

His neighbour was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he stayed until Sunday afternoon.